4.24.2014

Hospital stay 4/21

Des stayed in the hospital overnight on Monday evening. He received his chemo treatment at about 5pm and was throwing up a few times by 9, even with receiving nausea meds at regular intervals. 

Around that time he was watching Scooby Doo and told me that there were "2 Freds on the screen." I didn't think much of it, but he was clearly having some vision problems with his right eye (the tumor eye) so I mentioned it to the nurse and she called the on-call doctor, who told us that we could get Des in for a CT scan right away. He told us it was our choice, but that he advised it as double vision can be a sign of pressure building behind the eye..

I felt really torn and scared; on one hand I want to keep the amount of scans he gets to a minimum, as long-term side effects of all of that radiation are not clear, but on the other hand I was afraid that the tumor was spreading and that we'd need to see it right away. It seemed the right choice was to get the scan, so at 10:00 we were wheeled (with Des on my lap) through the empty halls of the hospital and down to the 1st floor, where the scan room is. 

I was really proud of Desmond for how he handled the scan. At first he said he was NOT going to lay down, but I told him I'd be right there next to him holding his hand the entire time, and then he just laid back and kept his head pretty still with really wide eyes. I don't think I'll ever forget the surreal feeling I had of watching my baby take it all in, while trying to reassure myself that the double vision was a side effect of the nausea drug and not something worse. I couldn't help but fear that we've had it too easy thus fear, that this was the other shoe dropping. 

The scan itself took just a few minutes, and we passed the time by talking about how men have walked on the moon. Des wants to be an astronaut someday, apparently. This is news to me!

The CT scan did come back clear, the doctor called a little after midnight and said that the scans looked fine but that Des showed signs of a potential sinus infection so we were prescribed an antibiotic for that. We stayed in the hospital till about 4:30 the next day, Des alternating between sleeping and throwing up. 


No comments: