6.25.2014

On the Home Stretch

(This is copy and pasted from our fundraising page. I just haven't felt like updating my blog. As we start to wrap things up, my adrenaline is running out.)

I realize it has been almost a month since my last update. In that timeframe, Desmond has completed 25 days of radiation therapy. I am really relived that we decided to stay in Boise for the radiation treatments. The benefits of being in our own home, surrounded by our support system, can't be quantified, and I do feel like Desmond got the best possible care.

We celebrated Desmond's last day of radiation in a big way. I arranged for friends, family, nursing staff, and coworkers to come to the treatment center and form a tunnel for Des to run through while we cheered him on. Everybody was wearing their superhero gear and it was really emotional. I've added some pictures to this page of that event.

The nurses at MSTI and in the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit at the hospital (where he recovered everyday) had gifts for him and big signs. Many of them told me how much they enjoyed seeing his little face and big attitude every day, and how they will miss having superhero fights with him.

This week was week 19 of treatment. He will have vincristine (chemo drug that doesn't make him sick) on week 20, vincristine on week 21, and dactinomyacin (chemo drug that does make him sick) on week 22 (July 14), then we are all done. First non treatment scan will be on week 24 (July 25), with a followup meeting with the doctor on July 28 to discuss the scan results.

_________________________________________________________

On Saturday, July 19, at 7:0 pm, Westys Garden Lanes will be hosting a Bowl-A-Thon to raise funds for expenses incurred from his treatment. 2 games of bowling + shoe rental will cost $10.00, and there will be a raflle prizes and a silent auction. Save the date to join us!

If you have any prizes to donate or are willing to help in any capacity, please e-mail me at sara_baker23@hotmail.com. My mother-in-law is coordinating this fundraiser and she needs some help, it's going to be a big one!!








No comments: