3.03.2014

hair

My baby's hair is falling out. I have been able to handle a lot of things so far, but this hurts.

A fellow rhabdo mom told me that her daughter's hair started falling out two weeks to the day she started chemo. I heard what she said, but I thought that maybe Des would be different. He's not. It's two weeks to the day.

I've been running my fingers through his hair daily, since the diagnosis, trying to imagine a little bald head under my hand. They said maybe it wouldn't fall out completely, maybe it would just thin. Nanny cut his hair yesterday, so when I found hair on my pillow this morning it must just be the remants of the cutting. But tonight when I ran my fingers through his hair, some of his hair stayed in my hands. I crouched down and looked at his batman pjs...hair all over them. Jeremy ran his fingers through, too, and a handful came away. I told Des that it might be time for Daddy to shave Des' head, as that was the deal made when Desmond shaved Daddy's head....he just smiled bashfully.

It's just hair. It will grow back. But healthy kids don't have their hair fall out. Kids with cancer lose their hair. And I can't believe my kid really has cancer, so why is his hair falling out?

3 comments:

Robin said...

Big hugs.

Liz said...

Adding my big hugs, too.

Donna said...

I understand...we know these things happen, but not to us. Sending love your way.